How to Open Your Chakras
Chakras are the meeting points of the energy channels, called nadiis in the body. Nadiis are channels in the subtle body through which the life force (prana), or vital energy moves.
Blocked energy in our chakras is usually what leads to any illness, or disease. Dis ease; think about what those words mean. You are in a place of resistance whether that is through anger, resentment, guilt, these all lead to more pain within. The more time we spend understanding and opening the chakras the more free we will be from the dis ease.
Lets go more in depth, the 7 chakras are as follows:
- Located near the base of the spine the root chakra. This is where that feeling of being welcome or safe in a given situation comes from. When the root chakra is open it helps us feel grounded to the earth, naturally the element it relates to is the earth element. If you usually feel like you are unwelcome and live in a lot of fear then this is a great place to start. The color associated with this chakra is red, so as you sit and begin to meditate try to visualize the color red and if you can focus it like a red light onto the base of the spine.
- The sacrum chakra located near the reproductive organs is where we hold all our most powerful energy, sexual energy. This is also where most of our feeling and emotions come from so if the sacrum chakra is open your feelings will flow freely. Its all about finding balance through all the chakras, although sexual energy is powerful if your chakra is too open or ‘over-active’ you will find yourself being emotional all the time, overly sexual, and finding yourself way too attached to those around you. Meditate on this chakra by imagining a bright orange light shining onto the reproductive organs, find full acceptance of your sexuality, and invite feelings of gratitude.
- The solar plexus located near the naval this is where our passion and drive ignite. The element linked with this chakra is fire. This is where our ability to feel confident and ‘in control’ of our lives resides. The color associated with the solar plexus is yellow, when you meditate on this chakra remember the color yellow and imagine a fire igniting, and embrace the hot white light you hold within. Remind yourself that you are here to serve your specific purpose that only you can fulfill.
- The heart chakra, this is what inspires us to love. The end goal for the Anahata (Sanskrit name for heart chakra) chakra is to show kindness and affection. Physical touch is so detrimental to human survival that if even the healthiest new born is left alone without any touch it will die, and with out enough affection can become very ill. If that is the case with babies, imagine a life of being isolated as an adult; this is why it is so important to take time to meditate on this heart chakra. Find stillness while closing the eyes and imagining the color green radiating around the heart chakra and fill yourself with pure love and adoration. “You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection.” –Buddha
- Next is the throat, the chakra that gives us our voice, our ability to have an opinion, self-expression, our way of which we communicate. The color associated with this chakra is blue, best way to remember this is drinking ice cold blue water, cooling down your throat. I do this while meditating, I visualize the cool blue filling my throat chakra I remember that I am free, I am expressive, and I choose to be a great listener who only speaks the truth.
- The third eye chakra where our intuition and instincts are born. If this chakra is under-active you will have a hard time ‘thinking for yourself’ this is where our potential for spiritual awareness resides. It is the ability to understand something immediately, without the need for conscious reasoning. The chakra of the mind, Ajna helps us think and see clearly both mentally and physically. While meditating on this chakra keep the image of indigo on your third eye believe the phrase “I am open to the wisdom I hold within me” and allow your body to receive the gift of the universe.
- Lastly is the crown chakra, where nirvana and psychic abilities thrive. The color associated is purple, I call this a royal purple because it is where you hold your crown and it is the highest level of consciousness. Some also refer to pure white, which is all the colors mixed together so I stick with royal purple. This is what connects us with the universe, the divine, its gift is experiencing unity and self realization that everything is connected at a fundamental level. It is believed to be both the giver and receiver of energy and consciousness. It is the meeting point between your body and your ego, the universe and your soul. Highlight this chakra with the affirmation “I love and accept myself” and you will feel yourself transcend To Higher Consciousness.
It does not matter which way you choose to meditate whether it’s a moving meditation, yoga, or still meditation, seated or savasana, you will find great reward in opening the chakras. Through meditation we are able to not only open but also strengthen each and every chakra to make way for our consciousness evolution to occur.